Thursday, October 8, 2009

Fall Fluff

Last week I received a package in the mail from my cousin Kathy. A pretty simple looking padded envelope. What was inside? I couldn't believe it when I open up the package and out poured the leaves of my childhood. A million memories came flooding back into my heart. In our high desert terrain out here in eastern Washington the only thing that really colors up much...now don't you laugh...hehehe okay maybe a little...are the sagebrush and tumbleweed.
Yes we do have some deciduous trees, but they do not get brilliant and they certainly don't dominate the landscape. So forget the fancy store bought fluff, I have real New England leaves on my mantel.
Understated maybe, but they make my heart sing!
The last of the roses are looking a little scruffy, but never the less I will cherish them.
Japanese Anemone
I finally tackled my garden this past week. Here are some new babies I planted that I acquired at Molvaks on a very quick drive by when we were in western WA for a wedding a month ago. I love how the purple cone flowers pick up the purple in the hibiscus. They are definatley planted near each other.
So here is the before and after of just one rose. Everybody looked like a wild hairy armpit. I had some major whacking to do. Now we can get in the front door anyways :D

So I am all tidied up outside and in. This week we were preparing for a frost. Nothing really hit, but I have soooooooooooo much produce to process now. You will have to wait and see what I am up to with all that hoopla next week.

8 comments:

Judy said...

It sounds like you are ready for the season...home and garden. I'm planning to tackle the garden today...and put a few things to sleep for a time. We had frost on the windshield of the truck yesterday morning...fall is definitely here.

Kathleen said...

Thank you for dropping by my blog. Judy's a favorite of mine; her "little somethings" have often boosted my soul. Your blog home has a similar feel.

I also see you're from Richland. Hubby and I grew up in Tacoma but moved to Arizona in 2000. We get to Fircrest & Puyallup often, as that's where our adult children and grandchildren reside.

I'm glad to meet you.

Blessings,
Kathleen

Vee said...

It all looks so wonderful tidy or not tidy. The leaves...ahh, my, your cousin did a great job with color selection.

We did visit to see the photos of the grandgirlies...so adorable. Your daughter does a beautiful job with her photography. We oohed; we ahhed; we laughed and grinned. Thanks.

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

Love the wild, hairy armpit....it does look much better after trimming! You have a gorgeous entryway....I long for a front porch!

Those leaves are stunning, and I am fascinated that some of them are purple....but I recall seeing some purple leaves in the Rockies a couple years ago. So beautiful.

Just a little something from Judy said...

I am soon calling it a day. I am tired. I had three precious little ones here all day. But, before I do call it a day, I checked a few blogs,and I am thankful that I checked yours. What a beautiful, photographic post! You cracked me up when you mentioned the big hairy armpit on the flower. What a way to end my day. Thank you so much!

Unknown said...

Everything looks so lovely. I visiting your post on Giverny and left a comment there too. Thank you for sharing that post, I love everything about Monet. Happy Pink Saturday.
Karen

Pure and lovely said...

What fun to get an envelope full of leaves! Loved the peek around your yard and house!

Kathy said...

Just a quick hello. I haven't been blogging much so I'm trying to catch up with all of my favs. I chuckled at "hairy armpit". I'm not a green thumb at all so I admire your gardening skill and beautiful flowers. ~Kathy

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Playlist