Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Climbing a Mountain


It has been on my list for a long time.  I wanted to someday be able to hike Badger Mountain.  In this arid and treeless region we have "mountains" with out trees.  Seems kind of weird, I know.  All our surrounding peaks have names like Saddle Back, Rattle Snake, Jump off Joe...but one of the most populated around here for hikers is a peak called Badger.

Several years ago my son was part of a group of folks around here that regularly hiked this mountain peak with out trails but just a big steep stomp up the side.  As the surrounding developments began to encroach upon this mountain, it became a last stand for sage loving mountain climbers.    They became known as "The Friends of Badger."  This group after tons of community effort and conservation campaigns were able to save this mountain top from developers.  Since the city has now adopted this area, they have put in trails and a park at the bottom.  This has become one extremely popular spot for Tri Citians to conquer.

It was on my list!  Someday...maybe?  Well after having had some success with loosing weight this spring, I thought maybe I would give it a try.  I would start off real slow and just try for a little bit of progress each time.  Actually the thought of getting started was quite overwhelming to me.  I have not been regularly exercising at all...except for my gardening.

Well I am happy to say that thanks to a new found friend who went up the mountain with me...I made it on the first try...albiet it took 2 1/4 hours =|   Slowly but surely we headed out a few times a week up the less traveled, less steep, longer back side of the mountain trail.
back side
Knowing good and well the steep shorter trail on the front side would be another whole ballgame.  Someday...maybe?  Well someday came sooner than we thought!   Last week when we came across a giant rattlesnake on the less traveled path we both knew were going to have to bite the bullet and try the front route.

My friend and I both attempted it separately last week and failed.  After our mutual failed attempt by Monday morning we decided to just do what we could and give this another shot...together.
a marker on the way to the top
Well....wait for it...dah dah...WE MADE IT!!!  I am still in shock and limping around in pain from the feat.  We were trying to keep it under 1 1/2 hours, so we jogged most of the way down.  Bad, bad, bad idea.  My knees were not happy about this down hill jog at all =)
elevation at the top1579 ft. 

What is so crazy about all this is how crowded this trail is with people alllll day long, of all ages.  However the high traffic pattern keeps the snakes away.  So I will continue my hiking, but no more jogging.  I will just have to gain my goal of doing this climb under an hour some other way.

7 comments:

podso said...

Congratulations! You set a goal and met it. The views are lovely. The landscape is so different without the trees that are in abundance where I live. If you keep tackling that mt, you will really be in shape!

Vee said...

Yes, we're not kids anymore, are wel? I'm very proud of your accomplishment as, of course, you are. Keep on hiking, the views are wonderful from the top! (I could probably do it if there was a tea shop up there with a yummy scone. ☺)

Kathleen said...

I love to hike! Here on the West Side of WA State there is an abundance of verdant trails. But when we're on the East Side, we enjoy the wide open spaces as well, especially when they're dotted here-and-there with Ponderosa Pine.

Near Pateros is Billy Goat Mountain, which is little more than a big mound. But it's a fabulous ampitheater for viewing vistas far & wide.

Judy said...

Good for you! Hiking is always so much more enjoyable with a friend. Glad you found one to take up the challenge with you.

Von said...

Beautiful pics, Cindy! I drove my dad to the top of Jump Off Joe the other day. He loved driving through the farmland, seeing all the windmills up close, marveled at the communications installations and at the expansive view.

I gotta do that climb one of these days. Melanie has done it many times. For now I'll jog around parks watching my xc-running kids. :)

Just a little something from Judy said...

What a major accomplishment for you! Having a friend does make a big difference. We all went hiking last weekend,and thankfully we did not see any rattle snakes. I think your new banner is beautiful!

Kathy said...

Cindy.....we drove through the Tri Cities on our way south.....had I been feeling better on the trip we had planned on stopping there for a day or 2 to do a hike and shop. It would have been fun to see you on a hike. I actually did find myself looking into the windows of vehicles wondering if I would see you. You just never know. Looks like you and your friend had a fun day!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Playlist