Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Spiritual Weapons


I have been thinking a lot about spiritual weapons this past season. I have had opportunity to wield a few, and discover new ones. What are spiritual weapons?

Waiting on God
Rest (not being engaged in activities that drain your strength for what He really wants you to focus on)

These two I touched on in "Unforced Rhythms of Grace" see previous blog.

I delightfully discovered a new one this weekend. Or rediscovered it I should say. I learn these lessons, then when a test comes low and behold, I have spaced it. I guess there is a very good reason we are referred to as sheep by the good shepherd.

Once a month I participate in an outreach we have to our downtown neighbors. Our church is in the old down town area of our city which comprises of mostly bars, tattoo parlors…you get the idea. So we basically open up our place and serve free coffee, and light jazz till two in the morning. God has led us down this path of low keyed outreach, and in this process we are gaining peoples trust. It has truly been a very good experience. But, and this is the big but, The Den as we call it stays open till 2:00 am. At my age, this is quite the effort for me to just get there and face the looong evening. This last Sat. I was resting in the early evening when a young person from our church dropped by. He sat and visited with my husband, till finally I got dressed and went out to the kitchen to see who had stopped by. I was secretly thinking, rats I wanted to rest just a little longer. (We had been doing yard work all day) As I sat down and began to talk with this young man, something wonderful started to happen. We started to share about what God had been doing in our lives recently. We told each other some of our testimonies. Pretty soon, I began to notice my energy beginning to soar. I had gained so much passion and energy from this simple encounter that continued through out the evening. I was so enriched by this time spent visiting. As I contemplated my reaction to the fellowship, and the testimony we shared and how it had an impact on both of us. I thought this is another weapon for my arsenal. Sharing our simple testimony with one another can stir up our spirits and encourage others around us. Who knows the impact we can have, by simply just sharing with each other.

4 comments:

Nadine said...

Cool pictures of swords. Isn't it nice how gives us what we need when we need it. That he gives us the strength so that we can do what He calls us to do.

yours truly B said...

I have been thinking the same thing as a matter of fact I have added a testimonial page to my site The Prayer Journal and I would love to put your testimony on it. let me know if you would be willing to share thank you
Billie

James Robert Borey said...

mmhm... i didnt realize that.. thats cool :) I would loove to do that again sometime! Spending time with u and dan is wonderful!
be blessed

a woman who is said...

James, you are the blessing, anytime!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Playlist