Thursday, March 8, 2007
Unforced Rhythms of Grace?
Mat 11:28-30 “Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest.
Walk with me and work with me--watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly." The Message
Three or four years ago when my family and I went to The Cannon Beach Christian Conference Center, I found this scripture on the flyer in our room. It was kind of embarrassing. We had come with another family and they were all hanging out in our room when I read this scripture and just started to weep. Something deep deep down in my spirit was hit, and hit hard. I was trying to grasp what an unforced rhythm of grace would possibly look like in my life. Grace or graciousness were not exactly how I would have ever described myself, compound that with unforced rhythms? There was definitely something here I needed to grasp… For a while now every time I read that scripture, I have sensed the cry of my spirit saying, "Get this one figured out." So I have been asking God to show me, and teach me about Unforced Rhythms of Grace. It has been a long journey, and I still have much to learn. The other day a friend and I were talking, and she was sharing with me about some dryness in her walk with God. As we were talking I happened to mention that one thing I had learned recently from my pastor, that rest was a weapon. Well her eyes just popped. What do you mean? Well out came this passage of scripture,and how I thought there was a connection. Later she asked me what did I know about this Unforced Rhythms of Grace. I had a hard time explaining to her what I knew. So here is an attempt to focus my thoughts.
I think I know more about what it is not than what it is:
1. not losing my patience with store clerks and people who steal my parking spots.
2. not being anal about my messy family
3. not jumping into a good idea full speed ahead of God’s timing and green flag
4. not worrying about….
5. not to hold on to my expectations about life, and people
6. not to look at the glass half empty
7. not to manipulate situations or people
What I do know:
1. To watch what He does and do it His way, not mine.
2. Walk with Him, not down my own path.
3. Get close enough to Him so I can hear the rhythm of His heartbeat to pace myself to follow His stride.
4. To use rest as a weapon, and spend that time simply waiting on Him.
5. That to wait on Him saves me an others a lot of grief.
6. to trust God in the middle of the storm, especially if he said get in the boat
What does,“Unforced Rhythms of Grace” mean to you?