Friday, July 25, 2008

Sky Watch III



Skywatching With My Son~ Mt. Rainier~ July 2008 ~Skywatch Hosted by Tom Wiggly


Try clicking these

Josh is in the green



Here are some pieces of sky via my son Josh when he summited Mt.Rainier with eight kids this July on and Outward Bound trip. I had promised these pictures when I mentioned his trip in a recent post.







This was posted in a recent weekly newsletter by Outward Bounds president:



Summiting Mt. Rainier: terrific email and photo from Joshua Rutherford and Marian Biddle.

I thought you guys would appreciate a few photos from the course I was a part of last week, in which we led 8 students through three torturous days of hard work to finally reach the summit of our dear Mt. Rainier. It was a very exciting and emotion-filled summit experience…as we went around the circle, I felt my heart melting as I heard in the voices of the each student the determination that they had to draw upon to make it to the top…I was especially touched when two of our students, who happened to be sisters from the UK, dedicated the peak ascent to their father, who had passed away in a climbing accident on Denali, a few years earlier…they explained that they came to OB to reconnect with mountaineering in order to understand their father's passion.. this, of course, was too much for me and I wept like a school child with them.

For me, it was one extremely momentous event, as I had my very first climbing experience on that very same route…so I felt a sort of full circle of life in my climbing carrier…I was able to identify with the fatigue of the students and felt pride in how much I have learned out and inside the Outward Bound community about the mountains and myself...I thought you might be excited to hear OB the first outdoor ed org to the top of Rainier, whoot, whoot!" Joshua Rutherford with Marian Biddle"


22 comments:

Gemma Wiseman said...

What glorious, exhilerating scenery! Utterly beautiful pics!

Anonymous said...

These are beautiful views!

SandyCarlson said...

What a beautiful mountain. Thanks for the cooling off on a warm summer day.

sonia a. mascaro said...

Great photos and reportage! Congratulations to Josh!

Quiet Paths said...

Oh my, now these are photos one doesn't see every day. What a treat. I have often admired this mountain as we drive towards the ocean. Thank you for sharing.

Knitting Mania said...

Amazing photo's Sis...we are so proud of Josh...Pat and I both had a great big smile and a little tear after reading what he wrote.

I saved the group photo...great swf!

Dorothy said...

Beautiful photos...these wonderful children of yours just have one adventure after another...what a blessing to watch them...have a great weekend...Dee Dee

Charm and Grace said...

Breathtaking photos and what a sweet story of tenderheartedness re: the UK sisters and their dad. Beautiful!

Blessings,
Christi

Small City Scenes said...

How exciting to have pics from the top of Rainier. Last week another youth group summitted. Bravo!! MB

nina at Nature Remains. said...

Awesome experience!

Nina at Nature Remains

Pappy said...

Great photos. I admire, but do not understand mountain climbers. Glad all returned safely. I'm sure the vistas were awesome. Pappy

 gmirage said...

A really nice view! Amazing how from above is so different on a summer day!

BTw, your baby is a doll! Great poses!

Strider said...

Those were nice pictures. The "extreme gene man" does it again.

Tom said...

What a fantastic posting for Sky Watch... I feel honoured you shared this with us all here..
Every where I've looked on your blog I have seen 'beauty'. Your family, your pictures and your writing... I wish you and all your family much happiness.
Tom

Now then back to Sky Watch, Please forgive this 'copy & paste' part of my comment but I am on my rounds checking all the links but wanted you to know I have seen your post and will try to get back again.
On behalf of all other Sky Watchers the team thank you for taking part this week.

Tom

Suzanne said...

Hello these are such beautiful photos. I love that snow photo and the group. Hope you have a good weekend and thanks for stopping by my blog.

Judy said...

How beautiful...and amazing! What an experience that would have been. Thanks for sharing!

dianasfaria.com said...

these photos are awesome! What an adventure!

Nadine said...

Josh is unbelievable - like daddy with his sense of adventure.

The pictures are just beautiful though.

Anonymous said...

Hello from Colorado. Very cool pictures.

Barb said...

Just breathtaking pictures. Thank you for sharing them. What a story.

hugs to you,
Barb

Torsdag 1952 said...

Phots from a skyplace i'll never see myself. Thanks for documentation.

I like your gardenblog. I found some wunderful daylilies last week in Sweden/Ellös. The Ellös gardencenter is famous for the Pelagonien collection.

Hallo from Germany

Lavinia said...

What an accomplishment. I remember the dedication from one of your previous posts. It's very nice to see something cold and refreshing in the midst of a hot summer's day!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Playlist